CPSC 3710 Project

Spring 2013

Joshua Pepneck





            For my 3D modeling project I decided to use the program of blender, and I desired to model something of interest to me so I choose my own motorbike, which is a 2005 600rr, as seen on the left. The main tools that I used in blender were that of the extrude and grab tools. Also I used the mirror modifier to allow me to only have to model half of my motorcycle. Lastly I used UV mapping along with surface subdivide to give my motorcycle color along with a smoother look.




            For my modeling I started with finding blueprints offline and adding them to blender along with adjusting them so that they lined up. After that I added one mesh and made sure that it lined up with all angles of the blueprints. Then from that one plain, I continued extruding and growing the mesh so that it formed the body. I continued all of this with the mirror modifier on allowing for the two sides of the body to look the exact same. The hardest part of this was the curves and details that the motorcycle presented to me. It took me quite a while to figure out how to create the continually curving parts of my bike as they always were curving in more then one direction. After finishing the body I continued to work on both the front and rear suspension. Lastly I finished off by adding an engine and exhaust to the motorcycle.  After all of this was completed my motorcycle looked like what is seen below. I was very satisfied with how my modeling went and thought that the method I used worked very well for modeling.








            After the model was created two things were required to change to make the model more appealing. The first of these was that the motorcycle required color.




I choose to use UV mapping along with a simple paint editor to add the colors I desired to my bike. Blender split up my bike into awful segments for coloring, which made this a terribly slow and tedious process. The painting of the UV map took countless hours, which to me means I probably choose the wrong choice for coloring my bike. The painted and unpainted UV map is seen below.




With this UV map applied to my bike it changed from looking only white to looking as seen here. I still was not completely satisfied with the texturing on my bike and if I had more time would try to clean it up more. The texturing was one of my biggest struggles though and the method I chose did not work as well as I desired.






There still remained one problem that was visible to the eye. That problem was that my motorcycle looked very choppy in its curves. While doing research I found that an easy way to remove this problem was to apply a surface subdivide onto my entire motorbike. I applied a surface subdivide of 3X onto my motorcycle for the render. This changed every face to 64 faces and resulted in my bike looking much smoother.





            After I had finished modeling, texturing, and smoothing my motorcycle was ready for taking pictures. My method of choice for rendering was that of adding a sun as a light source along with one other lamp. I then to create an even lighting throughout my entire bike applied ambient occlusion.  I also changed the quality of my rendering up to 1920-1080.  Lastly I added a background image to my rendering to make my pictures more visually appealing. I messed around with the background settings until I found an image I was satisfied with. The product of all of these aspects resulted in the following pictures.









            This project took me countless hours probably 30-35 hours to complete all of my modeling and texturing of my bike. I also did research on how to use blender and how to do texturing and rendering. I really enjoyed this project though except for the texturing through a UV map, and would be very interested in using blender for 3D modeling again. I found it way more time consuming then I expected, but I found the modeling part very enjoyable, and other then the amount of time I encountered very little problems.